Build A Custom Storage Solution
No matter how much you may Marie Kondo, there will always be treasures that need to be put away or put on display. This year we challenge you to “Spark Joy” by building a beautiful, functional, and custom storage solution – for whatever it is you may need to store! Let your creativity flow!
MTL is more than a lending library – we’re a growing community of DIY’ers, Makers and Craftspeople who support eachother to share skills and knowledge. Our annual MAKE IT Challenge is a celebration of that DIY spirit, creativity and skill, that brings neighbors together and makes lasting memories.
Each year we challenge the general public and our community to MAKE IT – as a way to empower individuals to DIY and grow their skills. Our challenges encourage individuals to step out of their comfort zones and address design and skill-based obstacles. Whether you’re a novice or craftsman, we want you to participate – All ages and skill-levels are welcome! There is no entrance fee, and membership in the Tool Library is NOT required to participate.
Contestants pre-register online. As the Showcase nears, each contestant or team will need to submit their final project photos and submission details via email. Builds that are transportable will be brought to the showcase for live display/judging, while those that are built-in (like a closet design) will be showcased via additional video and photo. Winners will be selected by our panel of judges and prize packages awarded based on creativity, function, technique, finish, and incorporation of the challenge theme.
- You can build anything you want – as long as your build addresses the design challenge of storage. So build a jewelry box, a bookshelf, a wardrobe, toy storage, something to corral those collections of yours – the options are limitless.
- You may use any materials. If you choose to upcylce an item (which is awesome) ; to be considered for the challenge you must make significant and structural upgrades. A fresh coat of paint just won’t do.
- You may use existing plans or design from scratch, as long as you’re the one to MAKE IT.
- Started a project awhile ago? Just learn about the Challenge? That’s OK – as long as you’re finishing your build between January 2020 and the showcase, – you can enter it.
Challenge Submission & Prizes
To be eligible for PRIZES you have to:
- Pre-register Online.
- Submit high quality photos (or better yet video) of your project and permission for MTL to share them.
- Send us a short description of your entry, it’s dimensions, the materials/techniques you used, and how you addressed this year’s challenge and tackled your storage obstacle.
- Display your project at our live showcase.
- Participate – MAKE IT is about building community, celebrating and learning from one another, so we ask that You or a representative be present to win.
You can build, submit and send us your entry (or entries) at anytime. Early submissions are always welcome! For planning purposes we ask that all registration and submissions are completed by 1st of August.
Winners will be determined by a panel of judges made up of woodworkers, community leaders, and tool library members. Entries will be judged on creativity, function, technique, finish, and overall storage awesomeness.
E-mail us at email@example.com with any questions!
THANK YOU to our Sponsors!
If you’d like to sponsor this years event, please take a gander at our sponsorship brochure below or reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org